13 November 2008

The Residents


Reading Frans’ blog about Peter Hook (http://fransdewaard.blogspot.com/2008/11/doubts-even-here.html) gave me a sense of dejavu. I was supposed to be present at this concert as well, meet Peter and have him sign my copy of Love Will Tear Us Apart (one of the few Joy Division songs I actually like), but seeing it was also my wife’s birthday, choices had to be made. Anyways, a few days later I went to see The Residents in Nijmegen, who are currently touring their recent Bunny Boy album. The Residents were brilliant! Perhaps a bit lean on the story side (which missed a much anticipated climax), but full marks for presentation (much like my school reports). After the show I had the great pleasure of meeting one of my all-time heroes, the vocalist of the Residents Mr. Homer Flynn. Like Frans and Peter Hook, I presented Homer a copy of the Beequeen CD Sandancing. He looked at it, smiled politely, thanked me and we exchanged some pleasantries, then we shook hands. A historic moment. Wether the CD, like Frans’ CD given to Peter Hook, is currently at the bottom of the canal is unknown. I like to think Homer is in the tourbus right now bobbing his head to The Honeythief and kicking himself for not asking my autograph.

No comments: