29 December 2009

Guitar-mania


I like guitars. I really do. In fact, I have a rather pleasing collection of guitars, which I won't bother you with, but which consists of a Washburn Falcon guitar (the same model as played by Barry Gray of the Legendary Pink Dots, but that just might be a coincidence), a Gretsch semi-acoustic guitar, a Washburn silver-stringed Jumbo acoustic and a Fender Butterscotch Precision bass. Recently I bought a new guitar to add to the collection. It's a nylon-stringed acoustic guitar, handmade in the late 60s/very early 70s in Germany by guitar-builder Armin Gropp (I kid you not). The Gropp Brothers are still in business and can be located at http://www.gropp-gitarren.de/ The one I bought has a lovely deep resonating sound and plays like a dream (the guitar, not one of the brothers). I bought the guitar off Enrico Beretta who, unlike his name suggests, is a Dutch singer-songwriter and a very friendly guy. Check him out at http://www.enricoberretta.nl/. I haven't got a picture of the new guitar yet, so I figured you might like the image now added, which is a very nice picture of Wang Yameng and Su Meng (perhaps slightly better known at Duo Meme & Yaya), who, like me, play Gropp guitars. I wish I could refer to a webpage for them, but unfortunately I cannot find it. Oh well, they certainly look great. Almost as great as that other duo The Peanuts. Now, they really rocked. You can see them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peanuts The new guitar has already been used on a recording. I have recorded a track for Frank Antonie's upcoming poetry project on which you can hear me playing the guitar. To be entirely honest, you can hear me stroking the body of the new guitar on this particular track, which gives a really weird wooshing sound. As said, a great guitar!

No comments: